"Thank you Hamilton County voters for your confidence." - Bill Knowles
Click the Yellow triangles below to learn more about Bill's innovative ideas that have
saved time and money for the people of Hamilton County:
- First to bring internet tag renewal to Tennessee
- In 2001 Bill brought internet tag renewals to Hamilton County—the first Clerk’s office in Tennessee to offer this option. Some at the State level doubted it would be possible, but Bill was determined to find a way. The Hamilton County's Information Technology group developed the security needed. The plan was finalized, submitted to State authorities and gained approval. Today, almost 111,000 local motorists click their way to renewal each year. The online renewal registration is normally mailed out the same day received. Now, other Clerk offices across Tennessee offer the option, too.
- First to introduce driver's license renewals to Hamilton County Clerk's Office
- Hamilton County residents agreed on the fact that the wait time at the State Driver Testing Centers was unreasonably long. Bill worked with the State Department of Safety to secure a contract to allow his office to handle renewals, duplicates and name changes. Almost 130,000 drivers have used this service since it began in 2004. It's quick and efficient!
- First to open full service tag & title satellite office with extended hours
- The satellite office on Bonny Oaks Drive was originally the little brother of the main office at the courthouse, but today almost 75% of all motor vehicle work is processed at the satellite office. The free parking and less congested access makes it a popular choice for most motorists.
- First to launch on-the-spot vehicle title printing
- "In the day" titles were printed at the State Capitol in Nashville, and you waited months for your title. Bill proactively secured a contract to take on the responsibility for local title printing, and today if you need only a duplicate title, the County Clerk will print your title while you wait in just a few minutes! Even when you need a new title, the process time is usually three days or less?
- First to implement online marriage license research to support genealogy study
- Today if you go to CountyClerkAnytime.com, you can easily find public information about marriages. Before, genealogy research was conducted on microfilm machines. The process was tedious. Not anymore. Now you are a few clicks away from researching most marriage records dating back to 1857.
- Pioneered license plate renewals-by-mail for Tennessee
- For 47 years Tennesseans have been able to avoid long lines for auto renewals by using the mail-in option. Did you know Bill was instrumental in the State law change that allowed such an option? Before legislation was enacted, Hamilton County proved the mail plan's viability and convenience.
- Developed best County Commission record keeping system in the State
- About 50 times each year the Hamilton County Commission meets to consider action on matters concerning local residents. The task of recording minutes and providing research for those minutes is placed on the County Clerk. Hamilton County has come from yellow legal pads and pens to custom software that records meetings and makes audio recordings available online to the public and media within minutes of concluding the meeting.
- Earned the County Hundreds of Thousands investing idle account funds
- When Bill came into office in 1974 bank balances for his office generated no interest revenue. Since that time he has invested money in safe, insured interest bearing accounts—earning Hamilton County thousands upon thousands dollars.